Prepare Ye The Way

2.13.2006

Absurdities of Life #1

Last weekend, I saw a man that I have known for most of my life as “Mr. Nickel.”

For 10+ years, our relationship has been one of jokes and laughter during my brother’s athletics… but always one of me as the child and him as the adult.


Well, last weekend I realized that my id wasn’t happy with this, or my karma was out of line, or my lack of sleep was calling in its dues… or my egocentric, insubordinate, I’m an adult now because I’m in college attitude spilled over into my formerly consistent relationship with Mr. Nickel…

“Hey Derek, how’s it going?” Mr. Nickel asked.

“Oh, hey Bruce, how are you?” myself.

Both of us were taken aback. Puzzled looks crossed both our faces. Yet, he is a gracious man and mumbled out an abrupt end to the conversation. Quickly we moved on to other shallow minglings.

Don't know if my relationship with the famed Mr. Nickel will ever be the same...

Only I could make that as awkward as it was. Awesome.


3 Commentary:

  • One thing that your father always told me, other than the fact that I couldn't date courtney, was that if you want to be respected then address everyone by their first name, glad to see you're wise to it too. Tell Mr Devi... I mean, Frank, I said hey.

    By Blogger Matt Foster, at 8:46 PM  

  • muhahahaha

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:18 PM  

  • Hey Derek....hope all is goin well in College Station and that you had a great V-day. I really enjoyed celebrating Singles Appreciation Day, by lovin on my friends......oh its such a sad resort....oh well. Hope you enjoyed your day bro!

    By Blogger Brenton, at 2:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home